Welcome to this month’s Blogorail Peach Loop. Today we are discussing regional Holiday events. Welcome aboard!
Christmastime is a wonderful time of the year to visit Louisville Kentucky. Christmas cheer is evident in the decorations and warm smiles. Louisville Kentucky at Christmas offers many activities and special events to be enjoyed by both the local resident and visitor. The warm, local hospitality and plentiful Christmas spirit make the season feel special. Here are some options for you and your family to enjoy. Take a look, and I bet you will find reasons to come to the Derby City during the holiday season.
Local Christmas Traditions
- Light Up Louisville: The 35th annual Christmas tree lighting kicks off the season on 11/27. A whole day of festivities include the opening of the open air ice skating rink, a world market of international foods and gifts, the Christmas Parade, and the Run, Run Rudolph 5K run/walk.
- Brown Forman’s Nutcracker at Whitney Hall in the Kentucky Center for the Arts on Museum Row: The Louisville Ballet Company will lead you through the land of the Sugar Plum Fairies. This is a local favorite and yearly tradition.
- 5/3 Bank’s A Christmas Carol is performed at Actor’s Theatre nightly from 12/1 through 12/23.
- Santa’s Safari at the Louisville Zoo features Santa and Mrs. Claus, Frosty the Snowman, special animal encounters, crafts, refreshments, stories, and sing-a-longs. A great opportunity for the whole family: 12/12, 12/13, 12/19, and 12/20.
Christmas at the Galt House Hotel: From 11/19 through 12/27, the Galt House Hotel on Museum Row in Downtown Louisville hosts an array of activities to keep your family entertained.
- Winter Wonderlane: Stroll through a winter wonder land among Christmas trees and dancing lights, but at room temperature instead of freezing cold.
- KaLightascope Luminaries bring Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol” to life with performers, 3D projections, and hand crafted luminaries.
- Ginger Bread House Contest: Professional and amateur bakers will have their creations on display for you to enjoy.
- Christmas Village with Santa
- Toy Soldier Dancing Bellmen perform daily at 5 p.m. Kids and adult will get a kick out of this.
- Santa’s Sleigh with a Green Screen: Take great pictures of your kids flying with Santa in his sleigh.
- Create a Snowman Indoors out of the cold.
- Pam Tillis & Friends: A Kentucky Christmas Dinner Show. Enjoy Christmas songs sung by country music star Pam Tillis.
Christmas Activities Unique to Louisville
- Lights Under Louisville: Tour the only underground Christmas Light Show via car at Louisville MEGA Caverns. A 40 minute drive covering 17 miles of decorated passages featuring over 2 million lights
- Breakfast with Santa aboard the Belle of Louisville: Sail up the Ohio River aboard the Belle of Louisville, the oldest continually operating Mississippi riverboat with Santa and Mrs. Claus. Great food, wonderful views, and Christmas cheer make this a Christmas experience your family will not forget. Make reservations for the 12/12/15 cruise.
- Holiday Card Factory Tour: The American Printing House for the Blind offers a unique tour through the factory on 12/5/15 that allows you to feel the cards and watch how they are made.
Historic Christmas Events
- Christmastide 1816 at Locust Grove allows you to enter the home of George Rogers Clark, the founder of Louisville; famous for the Lewis and Clark expedition. Period decorations and festivities await on 12/4 and 12/5.
- Holidays Around the World at Frazier History Museum.
- Old Louisville Holiday Home Tour: Tour wonderfully decorated homes in the country’s largest Victorian neighborhood outside of NYC on 12/4 and 12/5.
Even More to Do in Louisville Kentucky at Christmas!
- Irving Berlin’s White Christmas at the Derby Dinner Playhouse in Jeffersonville, Indiana. Enjoy dinner and great show just a short drive (maybe 5 minutes!) from downtown Louisville from 11/10 through 12/21.
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra: A Ghost of Christmas Eve’s will deliver a high powered Christmas experience to the KFC Yum! Center on 12/2. I can’t wait to see this one!
- The Louisville Christmas Show: The largest FREE ADMISSION Christmas Show in the U.S. is held at the Kentucky Fair and Expo Center from 12/11 through 12/13. Over 700 booths will be there to explore gifts and decorations.
- A Coca Cola Christmas at Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory from 11/20 – 01/05.
- Yew Dale Gardens Holiday Train Exhibit on weekends from 11/28 – 12/21.
Louisville lies within a 6 hour drive of Chicago, Atlanta, and St. Louis and has reasonable, direct flights from all over the country. As you can see, there is plenty to do in Louisville Kentucky at Christmas. Stop in for a weekend and you won’t want to leave.
Merry Christmas from Louisville!
More Links to help you explore our hometown:
check out the other great posts from the Blogorail!
Here is the map of our Blogorail Peach | Family Adventure | Regional Holiday Events
- 1st Stop – Home is Where the Mouse Is | New York City Christmas
- 2nd Stop – Always Moving Mommy | A Lowcountry Christmas
- 3rd Stop – Trips with Tykes | Christmas in San Francisco
- 4th Stop – Adventureland Pam | Christmas Town at Busch Gardens
- 5th Stop – Family Travel Escapades | Christmas in Louisville