You cannot go wrong with any of the WDW resort. We each have different ideas of what will help make the perfect vacation. Here is a guide to help you choose which deluxe or DVC resort will make this perfect vacation easier to achieve. Follow this outline to find the right resort for you.
What is the Most Important Factor that your WDW resort will offer?
1. Proximity to the resorts: If you plan on spending most of your time at a particular resort, then this is very important (Magic Kingdom for the kids, Epcot for the “Food and Wine” or “Flower and Garden” festivals).
Magic Kingdom Resorts-
a. Contemporary Resort and Bay Lake Tower – This resort is the closest to Magic Kingdom and has the easiest access. You can ride the monorail, or you can easily walk the half mile to the front gate. It is the only resort from which you can walk directly to Magic Kingdom.
b. Grand Floridian – Easy access to Magic Kingdom from the monorail. Great ambiance.
c. Polynesian – Also on the monorail. Island food and atmosphere.
Epcot Resorts- Epcot can be reached by walking 1/3 mile on foot to the International Gateway, or by the friendships for the Epcot resorts. (article on Friendships http://www.familytravelescapades.com/the-friendships/ )
a. Beach Club/ Yacht Club Resorts– A very relaxed atmosphere and beautiful resorts.
b. Boardwalk Resort- More activities.
Hollywood Studios Resorts– While there are no Hollywood Studios resorts, per se, any of the Epcot resorts have easy access to Hollywood Studios via the Friendships or on foot.
a. Boardwalk – It is the closest with about a half mile walk to DHS along the waterway.
b. Beach Club/Yacht Club. – Approximately 1 mile walk.
Animal Kingdom Resorts- There are also no real Animal Kingdom Resorts Animal Kingdom Lodge and Kidani Village are very close.
a. Animal Kingdom Lodge and Kidani Village have the shortest ride, but it is still by bus.
2. Best Theme/ Atmosphere: There are reasons to choose a resort based on the atmosphere. Disney resorts do theming/atmosphere better than anyone.
a. Animal Kingdom Lodge and Kidani Village take you to Africa with views of the savannah (including giraffes, zebras, etc.) Rooms are like sleeping in a tent while on safari. The lobby is full of African art and artifacts and will amaze you. Many of the staff are African.
b. Wilderness Lodge transports you from Florida to the Western mountains. It’s like a slice of Yellowstone.
c. Grand Floridian is the closest most of us will get to staying on “Main Street U.S.A.” The jazz musicians at night tip it over the top.
3. Resort activities: If you are looking for a more “traditional” vacation with shopping, golf, and spa treatments.
a. Saratoga Springs – “Senses” is one of the two best spas on WDW property. Lake Buena Vista Golf Course is located here.* You can walk to Downtown Disney for shopping and night life.
4. Access to your car: This can be important if you plan on driving to other resorts, to the parks, or even to other places (Universal Studios) in the Orlando area. Disney transport can take up to hour to get you from one resort to another for dinner reservations; so, having easy access to your car can save time.
a. Old Key West has parking very close to your room and by far the easiest car access.
* all resorts offer taxi vouchers to and from any of the WDW golf courses.
I hope this helps.