Amalfi by Boat
& the Splendor of Sorrento
Shore Excursion Review
This summer we sailed the Mediterranean with Disney Cruise Line. We were most excited to visit Italy’s Sorrento and Amalfi Coast. The photos that we had seen were stunning. Our first port of call was Naples, Italy. We chose to take the Amalfi by Boat and the Splendor of Sorrento port adventure. This offered the chance to visit both sites.
We were loaded onto a bus in the port of Naples. First we were taken to Sorrento. We were given about an hour to tour the town. Next came lunch in a local restaurant. After lunch, it back to the bus for a ride to Salerno. In Salerno, a boat was waiting for a site seeing tour of the coast. We docked in the town of Amalfi and were given about an hour to explore. After Amalfi, it was back on the boat for the return voyage. Finally, the bus took us back to the port of Naples.
- Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast are stunningly picturesque. Photos do not lie.
- I love boat rides. It rained during most of our trip from Salerno to Amalfi. A little water did not deter me. The views were amazing.
- Lunch was included with the port adventure. For those of us to whom Olive Garden is fine Italian cuisine, the food was pretty good. It was nothing spectacular, though. Some on the tour with us had higher standards. They were very disappointed. The dining experience took probably an hour. Everyone I spoke with stated that they would rather have had more time to explore and pizza in a box.
- Almost half of our time was spent on the bus. The tour was 9.5 hours. Some, but not all of the ride was scenic.
- Amalfi by Boat and Splendor of Sorrento provided the worst tour guide that we have ever had. She was silent for the vast majority of the bus ride. I learned nothing. She was pleasant, but she was not affective.
- We had headphones for an audio-tour during our voyage up the Amalfi Coast. The did not work, though. All that your could hear was static.
Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast are beautiful. They will not disappoint you. Amalfi by Boat & the Splendor of Sorrento shore excursion will. We spoke with several other passengers about different excursions. Everyone else was pleased with their port adventures.
We have taken tours before with long rides. An engaging tour guide makes the time pass much easier. I am not sure if our guide always host the Amalfi by Boat tour. I would not risk it, though. Opt for one of the other shore excursions from you cruise. Also, let you ship’s Port Adventure team know what your experience was like. This will help them better select tours for future cruises.